View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The next step(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
When you say this is a classic twist, do you mean you have two threads - a black and a green - in this wrap or is it the twist thread?
It's Gudebrod Classic Twist thread. In one thread they have black and green twisted together. They make a red/black, green/black, white/black or did, I have very old spools. Maybe a couple others. Actually Gudebrod went out of business. It might be harder to find now. I used it on my Meiser and one T&T rod.

That thing you have in the link is kind of how I do the fade. You start off with one color, then 4 or 5 turns before where you want the second color to start to fade in in, take the second color and wrap loosely out of the way4 or 5 turns in the wrong direction. Have it through the second tensioner I mentioned. Then trap the end of the second color under the first color, make your 4 or 5 turns at which point your second color won't be turned around the blank at all. Pull the tension tight on the second color by turning the spool. Turn the two colors together like in your link. I only go 4 or 5 turns because if you go longer than that it detracts from the fading effect. Then take the first color and grab the thread and pull it so you can trap it under the second color and cut it. Get a few turns on it and and trim it off and bury the first color thread's end in the wraps.

I've actually never seen it on anyone else's rods before. That's the cool thing about building your own. You can do anything you want. It reminds me of what the guy running R.L. Winston said when I went and visited the factory when I was out visiting family. I showed them my 10 wt. Winston I built and they had the whole crew stop and was looking it over. One of the girls that does the thread asked why they couldn't something like that and he said "Because we have to make something almost everyone will like." I just have to make something I like.