View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you go two hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelict View Post
Throwing weight can stress my right shoulder (75% range of motion)

Why did you go with a two handed rod?
It will be a lot less stress on the shoulder. I have a wrecked back and it's a lot less stress on that also. It's a lot less stress on my elbow also. I used to get tennis elbow by the end of every summer. I don't anymore.

The reason I went to the two hander was for Walleye. That and I just thought they were way to cool. I decided to try fly fishing for Walleye and quickly discovered it was not only possible, but I got really big ones doing it. The problem is though I have high banks with very little 'beach' and it gets deep quick. It makes casting a single hander a real challenge. My first two hander is a Meiser 15' 8/9 wt. I built. It has the advantage of being able to hit distances I could never get with a single hand rod. Plus I can do it with very little room behind me. Where I fish a lot by the railroad bridge on my local river, I had a 'backcast lane' in the brush going up the bank. At the top center of it is a wild rose bush. I have dug more clousers out of that rose bush. I don't even have to think about what is behind me now.

My Meiser and a Walleye.
Click the image to open in full size.