View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bottom bouncing set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
but I swear I read somewhere that somebody took the spinning method and pretty much adapted it to fly fishing.
Yah, that's what I thought. This came up on here a couple of years ago. The way it was mentioned is rigged like this. Short heavy leader, like 3' from the fly line to the bend in the bottom bouncer. A longer, like 6' line from the end without the weight and then the fly. You let line out trolling till you can tap the bottom with the bottom bouncer. Everytime you tap the bottom raise the tip a tad so you don't drag the bottom. This is just to get your fly just off the bottom. You can't cast this rig. It is strictly for trolling. You don't need a fly rod for this at all so I don't see adding a fly rod to this as fly fishing.

They way they do what fysh showed here is instead of just a pile of lead on the end with a knot to keep them from slipping off, you take parachute cord and cut a piece just bigger than the lead will be by about 3/4" or so. Better big than to small. Pull the center filler out. Take a lighter and melt then crush the still hot end flat with needle nose pliers. Fill it with split shot and repeat the melting with the other end, except as a variation you can melt a barrel swivel into the end. If you opt to not use the swivel, just crush the molten end down and melt a hole in it for attaching the line. Other than that it's exactly how fysh showed it. A lot of the guys doing chuck and duck take the fly line clean off and just spool the reel with mono. You're not really fly casting this way, just chuck 'n duck. Technically you can do this on a spinning rod as well. Oh, and by here I mean the North Shore of Lake Superior's rivers like the Knife and Sucker etc..

By the way, if you are going to do what fish showed you really ought to use the slinky weight like I mentioned. Birds won't eat them but they will eat the tons of lead you lose his way.