View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 01:08 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Is The Difference...and Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
One problem with tenkara is that you cannot release line to minimize line tension. So if you hook a big fish, the collapsing sections of the rod can get tugged on until the line breaks or you land the fish. If you point the rod at a bug fish and tug, the straight pull on the sections can cause the sections to lock into one another.
Exactly! It's not a tool for big fish, it might have been in the interview on the Orvis podcast that Daniel Galhardo talks about these limitations with Tom Rosenbauer. If you're targeting big fish or there's a good chance you'll hook one it might not be the right rod to be using. That said, here's a video of Daniel catching a nice brown. Personally I'm hitting small streams with fish smaller fish.

One nice thing about Tenkara is that if you break a section you might be able order a replacement, I know Tenkara USA does it. I've never done it, but if you unscrew the butt cap the sections will come out the bottom and you replace the broken one. Still better not to break them, but a nice feature.