View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 08:51 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice on salt water gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wt View Post
I have a #7/8 Cortland ProCast that I think would be big enough for the ocean, but nothing is sealed so I don't think it would last long in salt water. I also have a smaller Medalist. Do you think I could get away with using either so long as I rinsed them in fresh water afterwards?

These are reels that kind of fell into my lap - they're way too big for the freshwater stuff I've been after and aren't appropriate for any of my rods - so I'm curious of your thoughts.
The Cortand reel will probably be fine. You're going to have to rinse it out well after every outing, oil it too, but you should do that with any reel anyway.

Back when I used a Medalist in the salt, I learned very quickly about daily maintenance. Nothing wrong with that, it's a good habit to get into.