View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 01:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What vise do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel View Post
Peak rotary vise is a very good vise and will grasp a wide range of hook sizes. The rotary feature I find of good necessity when you spin a dubbing loop for flies like seal buggers to hares ear nymphs. If you have a long dubbing loop to wrap on a hook shank this is where a rotary vise shines.
I too am using a Peak Rotary and have been very pleased with it. If you are tying small, say 16 and below, I'd consider adding the midge jaws. They're much easier to tie small flies with. Great vise for the money with a very sturdy base.

That link dean posted is as solid of a vise review as I've seen for the more commonly used vises and a recommendation that I too steer people to when they're looking for an everyday type of vise. If you can, it's not a bad idea to go to a shop and test them out so you can see how tying on it would be. At the same time, when I chose the Peak, I had my budget set, looked at reviews, made up my mind and pulled the trigger. I have no regrets with this process. I think a vise is something we just adapt to when using it. Sometimes we put too much thought into finding the "perfect vise". Really, if it has good jaws that hold a hook well, fits your budget and has an appearance pleasing to you, it's going to be a good one.

If I were a commercial tier, or presentation tier, I might use some additional logic in purchasing a vise, but for my own personal needs that's what's important.

Last edited by jaybo41; 01-18-2013 at 02:24 PM.