View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you go two hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
When you go 2 handed, forget about the rod weight as you think about them with single hands..
True, they are in no way related. In fact I wish they didn't even put a weight on them and just used the grain window instead. Even more confusing, what we call a certain weight here is not the same weight in Europe. Grain window is the only reliable way to do it.

Quote:
Remember, a longer rod will help you handle larger fish. An 8wt is a pretty serious stick, I might consider a 7wt..
I'm using a 10/11 for Walleye. The weight of the rod is not for the size of the fish. It's for how far you want to cast the fly. The size fish you plan to catch should have absolutely no bearing on your choice of rod. It is true that a longer rod helps you handle a larger fish though.

Quote:
Still say if you're going this route, you should really consider going to a fly shop that carries these rods and cast some. Not to discourage a 2 handed purchase, but to get first hand knowledge and suggestions based on where you're going to fish it.
The only problem with that could be you may get a guy that even though he sells them does not know a dang thing about them. Our biggest tackle shop here has a guy working there that I know for a fact doesn't fish, but can talk a darned good game. If you want to talk to a shop that does know what it's talking about try calling the Red Shed and ask Poppy what he thinks. He is a depository of knowledge in all things spey.