View Single Post
Old 04-01-2009, 07:36 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fast Rivers and "Go To" flies and technique

Thanks for the info Cliff, and flydog - I still don't have it figured out....

I Went out again yesterday after work, ticking the bottom, fishing the slow seams, in the dead water next to the banks, and again got no action - nada, not even a hit. Water was murky and up a bit due to rain in the mountains. neither I or my buddy did any good, but I did get to work on my roll cast a bit and worked with him a bit on presentation and mending.

When I got home last night, I watched a taped version of the "new fly fisher" and they talked a bit about using very "flashy" flies when the river is running high and dirty for steelheads, so got me thinking, maybe part of the issue is the clarity of the water. I also saw where one of the guys on youtube had said to use "the big uglies" when the water is cold, fast and not clear.

So, I thought I would ask you all if when the river is high and dirty do you tie on flashier flies (nymphs and buggers) or do you stay with the standards copper johns, GRHEs, etc.

d