View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 07:16 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on reel weight for a 9' 6wt.

A 1 oz difference is significant amount in a reel for 6 wt line.

If there is a need for a reel to "balance"with a rod, it is not for casting but for fishing.

You need to know how much line will be out for your average fishing; and how do you want to hold the rod for most of your fishing; neural, tip up, or tip down.

For example, if you short line nymph and you hold the rod tip up most of the time, you don't want a reel so light that it balances tip down or neutral. You would be fighting the natural balance of the outfit. That is why most euro nymphers with 11 foot rods tend to favor reels heavy enough to balance the rod in a tip up position. If the rod reel naturally assumes that position, there is one less thing to manage and less arm fatigue.

Some rods are tip heavy and some are tip light. I prefer a tip light rod and a light rod overall, so I use light reels for my fishing.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy