Thread: Coyote fur.
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Coyote fur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_wi_fishing View Post
In my neck of the woods the populations are ever on the increase. We have a decent size pack that will come into our neighborhood pretty frequent. They have carried off household pets and animals from a neighboring farm. The farmer lost 6 goats in only a few months.

My neighbor opened up his garage this summer to screaming just to find a yote strolling down the street with a cat in its mouth.

We could use some thinning.
I guess it's different here. Coyotes are "classified" by the state FWP as a "non-game predator" and can be killed year round. And a lot them are. But Montana is feaking huge. Out on the E side of the state, if you see a coyote and have a rifle in the rig, and you don't shoot it, there is something wrong with you. I've found it kind of strange. And I'm not against hunting or trapping. I hunt and like I said, my father-in-law traps and I've gone out on his line with him. I find it quite interesting, he is a smart guy and when it comes to knowing animal behavior, he understands it well.

I digress, in the mid-west with exploding populations of wildlife and ever expanding suburbs, there will be more and more conflict. The populations do need to be controlled. I think farmer and ranchers should always be allowed to shoot on site if their animals are threatened. But shooting animals from the road just because it's there and you can and leaving it for the ravens and vultures ... well, I just don't see it.