View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 12:08 AM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: i've joined the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
Nice! It looks like you are well prepared and off to a good start. First flies are rough, there's no way around it but that's how you learn. Breaking thread is totally normal, that's how you learn to feel how much pressure you can put on it. Keep going and don't get discouraged. Pay attention to proportion of flies on the hook shank. Learning this will help your tying immensely as you won't run out of room, have too much room or crowd the hook eye.

As others said, get in a class and/or find someone to tie with who knows what they are doing. If you don't already, watch videos of people tying. Two of my favorites are Davie McPhail and Tight Lines. It's inspiring to watch the flies created but you can also observe how they do it. Before you know it, you'll be able to watch a video then go to the vise and tie the fly from memory
--------
nice start ! I agree with William about paying attention to the proportion of the fly on the hook size. Because you tie a fly on a hook size doesn't make the finished fly the same size as the hook. Good luck and above all, enjoy yourself.

Nature, Cheaper than Therapy

LIVE TODAY