View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 12:25 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i've joined the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxer View Post
--------
nice start ! I agree with William about paying attention to the proportion of the fly on the hook size. Because you tie a fly on a hook size doesn't make the finished fly the same size as the hook. Good luck and above all, enjoy yourself.
Ditto. In the beginning you have to use less material, for nearly everything, than seems right. I was told early on, the dubbing mantra is "Less is More."

You're on your way! Congrats, it's lifelong journey and a passion ...

A little advice, and I remember how hard it is, try to stick the easy patterns as much as possible at first. Sure when you get bored, try something new and "pretty." But to get proportions and amount of materials figured out, tie a pile of hare's ear nymphs. First, they are just great flies that catch fish. Second, you can make variants like crazy when you get bored (colors, rib varitions/no ribs, bead heads, a turn of soft hackle, etc.). And thirdly, you learn how to do a lot of the basics - dubbing, ribbing, tying in feathers (wing case), proportions, etc.

The Royal Wulff is still one of the hardest flies for me to tie. They are beautiful and I completely understand the desire to make them ... I love the fly on many levels ... but don't let it get you down. It's a tough one!

Keep posting your flies and think about joining a swap when you see one you think you can do.

Good luck, carry on!

Last edited by dean_mt; 01-19-2013 at 05:50 PM.