View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 08:43 AM

moucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud ofmoucheur2003 has much to be proud of
Default Re: advice on salt water gear

The Bear's Den fly shop in southeastern Mass. caters to a lot of salty flyrodders and they sell a lot of this stuff for reel care. I haven't used it myself yet but I'm planning to this season.

Salt-Away Fishing Equipment Spray at BEARSDEN.COM

FWIW, when I was getting my first rod for the salt, I was advised to get an 8 weight. I did, and I found it okay for a lot of inshore situations, but when the wind is up it just doesn't have the oomph to get the line out. Also, if you're lucky enough to tie into a 30 lb striper in the surf or a rip it may not have enough backbone to bring the fish in. (Haven't hooked one that big yet myself, but as the Boy Scouts say, be prepared.) I think a 9 is more versatile than an 8 for your first saltwater rod. A 10 will be too heavy for a lot of fishing situations and will tire your arm and wrist out more quickly.