View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 08:28 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Targus Gary Borger light touch fly rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
Update, if anyone is still interested: I was so intrigued by this brief exchange last winter that I bought one of those 8' 4 wts myself. It is a delightful little stick. They still have some left, too, at The Fly Shop (in Redding, CA) for only $129.

As it happens, I met Gary Borger at the fly fishing show in Marlboro last Friday. I mentioned it to him and he said he loves that rod. Out of all the rods that Targus put his name on, it is one of his favorites.

(Another of his favorites, he said, is the 9' 9 wt Gary Borger Pro Series rod. I use mine for stripers and bluefish here in Mass. He said he uses his fishing tribs in Wisconsin for Great Lakes salmon and steelhead. The Fly Shop has some of those left for $129 too.)
I ordered a 9' 4wt. A month or so ago. They told me they didn't have any left, but I could get one of their FlyShop house rods for the same price. They said the rods (Borger) broke to easy. Like a sucker, I got one- the fresh H2o, and fished it yeaterday. I used my LRH and the rod was tip heavy. I'll have to use a heavier reel next time. It casted ok, but nothing to write home to ma about.
Joni was fishing a new 5wt. Allen Compass. I gave that a whirl. I should have waited and bought the Compass. Better balanced and smoother casting.
But all in all, I wish the Targus was available. Silver Creek recommended it, and I trust his judgment highly.
Maybe the Fly Shop didn't have the 4wt.,or maybe they just wanted to unload one of theirs.

p.s. they still have the 9' 4wt. on their website.........Bait and switch?