Thread: Coyote fur.
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 09:45 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Coyote fur.

Dean, I trapped for over 20 years, and there are ways to keep most pets out of traps. Unfortunately, pet owners do not always obey the laws either. Here in MD, there are leash laws that prohibit pets from running free. In more open states, I can understand a dog going unleashed. However, you're correct that there is usually an overreaction by those who do not trap, and little effort by many trappers to keep traps out of areas frequented by pets. Again, the public, who is for the most part, uninformed about traps & trapping, hear only one side of the issue, and often respond out of emotions for a killed or injured pet.

I had an incident once, and a dog was killed in one of my body grip traps. I was trapping on a friends property who was having problems with Raccoons getting into his attic. I was also trapping Muskrats in the marshes around his property, and on the property of one of his neighbors. This was all water trapping, no land sets at all. One of my friends neighbors had a dog, a German Shepard that roamed around. That neighbor was told to please keep his dog tied up, that I was trapping on this other property, and did want to have a problem with the dog. All of these properties are located on a river, and the dogs tracks were very evident along the shorelines. The dog owner insisted that the dog never left his property.

The river is tidal, and the dog was going into areas after the tide was down, and was stealing Muskrats caught in my traps, along with the traps. Again, the dog owner was asked to please keep the dog on their property. That went un-heeded. One day, everything froze over and that dog ventured into a marsh area where I had a body grip trap set for Raccoons. This was an area of deep mud normally, and there was not bait or scents used with the trap, or was set in a trail the Raccoons were traveling to get to the house. The trap was also set about 200 yards from the neighbors property.

The dog for whatever reason, ended up in that trap, and the owner found the dog on the ice. He took my trap too. His response was not good, making threats to call law enforcement. He had young girl's and insisted his kids could have been caught in that trap. All of this after he was told I was there & what I was doing, and he needed to restrain his dog.

It's a sad and no win situation, even though the trap was set legally. I did not confront the man about taking my trap, figured it was best to let it go. Afterwards, I told the story to a DNR officer I knew, his response, he would have shot the dog, there are leash laws and the dog owner was in violation of those laws.

No one won in this incident. Very sad!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!