View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 03:57 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the realm of scotch

Interesting thread here. Drank single malts for years ... too many to be truthful...

But if you want a fun party do a 'blind' Single Malt tasting party. (Think wine tasting for a comparative.)

Fellows would bring over a bottle of 'xyz' during the week and I'd set up the table with small glass's of each (just a couple of cc's). We'd try the first (lighter to heavier) and 'discuss/write notes.'

Base line idea was (save for me) no one knew what he had in his hand till the very end. End game with new folks to a good Whisky, is their first exposure was rot-gut .... Having started there, they ended there as in 'Hate the damned stuff.'

More than a few had an eye opening experience.

One, the best?, was a Cast strength series. Damned hard to get back in those days ... not your Mama's 80 proof, usually closer to 100 - 115. With this one the Fellows got a small glass of Distilled water and a 'cc marked thing (word for those totally escapes me at the moment) and add about 25 percent water. Later I found (out of Canada) I could get (I kid you not) bottled Glacier snow melted water. Amazing how good that was.

My Uncle Mac turned me on to that, and I'd have him ship me down a case of the bottles. Often wondered what the Custom's Folks thought as they looked at the Declaration Form ... 'Water????'

fae