View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 04:51 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Improving my cast

I've often referenced that even golfers on the PGA tour have a swing coach that helps them hone in on hitting a better golf shot. Interesting to see that others are like minded.

Lots of excellent posts in this forum with very little for me to add other than I agree with what's been said.

My current formula leading up to trout season is: watch videos, read books, forums, etc then practice cast. Then repeat. I do this as much as time permits between other responsibilities and tying for my spring trip. As the trip gets closer, I take a lesson, then practice again. Taking what I've learned and applying it while on the trip is where the rubber meets the road. As Silver mentioned, learning to cast is only one step in the process. I'm fortunate enough to have a bud who serves as a guide/mentor/coach for the waters we fish together.

Also in agreement that a good guide is worth his/her weight in gold for unfamiliar waters. Even if waters are familiar, spending money to get out with a guide who is willing to teach you to become a better angler will pay huge dividends. Early on in my fly fishing journey I got a guided trip on water I'd fished many times. During that day, I learned 5x the amount of information than I had learned in months of attempting to learn by myself.

One thing I've learned over the 12 or so years I've been doing this is that I still have lots to learn.