View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 07:01 PM

ellisc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for technical data on a Sage 503L and 504L reels

Hi Russell,

This discussion came up in a search for information on the Sage 503L. I have one and would be willing to sell or trade for a Hardy Featherweight - if you're still interested. Send me PM and I'd be happy to send you pictures.

As for the 503L, it's a sweet little reel. I've had some big, fat and feisty Kamloops trout on the reel and it performs just fine despite the manufacturing snafu and some negative comments I've found on other discussion boards. Yes, it is teeny tiny but the palming rim allows good control on a hot fish. Plus, it's got that great Hardy sound. I have it matched up with very special Peter McVey 7'2" 4# cane rod. I think I want to replace it with a Hardy Featherweight in good condition which was what I was originally looking for when I bought the rod several years ago. A local shop owner at that time had this 503L in his "vintage gear" display case and talked me out of a pretty beat up Featherweight by giving me a darn good deal on the 503L. I think he just wanted to get rid of it and there weren't too many customers darkening his door looking for an ultralight reel. Anyways, if you're not interested please let me know because I'm thinking about posting it on ebay.

Cheers,

Ellis