View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Re: Virginia / West Virginia

I often fish with an older friend (late 60's) whose footing isn't what he thinks it is. And I'm like a pig on skates when wading. So, I look for water that's easy to navigate. I'm in Harrisonburg, been fly fishing for 3 years so I tend to gravitate toward 'easier' fishing. Not that I don't mind a hike into the SNP for some tiny brook trout fishing...but that's rare for me.

Mossy Creek Fly Shop can put you on the private section of Mossy Creek. I'm certain you can't wade there so it's all easy going. The public section is a bit tougher (crowded at times). Brian and Colby Trow (the whole team in fact) are good people. Tell them Cardo sent you.

You can also book (but fish unguided) Smith Creek (Suzy Q Farm) through Mossy Creek. I do this a couple times a month. You can wade, but a lot of the fishing there is from the banks. They hold Project Healing Waters or Casting For Recovery events there so access to the water is pretty easy, some spots are VERY easy to hit. You can regularly pull 15-18" rainbows out of there...no problem. It's about 3/4 mile of water. It's limited to 4 rods, but they will close it for 1 or 2 rods.

There is also Beaver Creek ($10/day, 5 rod limit) unguided/public. Big one's in there. Show up at the Ottobine country store early to get a spot. If you go there and it's booked, head to Mossy Creek (public).

Dry River is also a gentle grade. One of the most populated wild brookie waters in Virginia. Some parts are tricky, but I think if you go in at Riven Rock park it will be smooth sailing.

Check em out here:
Virginia Fly Fishing Streams

Albermarle Angler can put you on a section that's right in C'ville proper. I believe you can fish it unguided and it should be easy going. Never been but it sounds good.
Albemarle Angler: Fly Fishing in Virginia, Guided Fishing Trips, Orvis & Barbour Clothing

The above shop can also book you on Big Bend Farm. It's bigger water (check out their site "media" section). It's got a very gentle grade, if any. You can also fish that unguided. I've booked 2 days/2 nights there in April. There is a cabin there stream side.

Rose River farm is my next place to go, limited to 5 rods a day but can be fish unguided. Douglas Dear is a standup guy. He's very involved in Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery. They book up fast. They also have some b-u-tiful cabins there. One is right next to a stocked trout pond that you can fish for free. River requires rod fees. Book cabins and rods separately on their site.

About Rose River Farm, a private fly fishing only stretch of water located in Madison County, Virginia

You can head south to Waynesboro which has a new special regulation section on the South River. The shop you want to contact is South River Fly Shop. The Virginia Fly Fishing and Wine Festival is held on the banks of this river. But the best fishing is in the special regulation area. From what I've seen the wading is easy/no grade/easy flow.

South River Fly Shop

There is also a nice B&B down there...
Waynesboro VA Bed and Breakfast - Shenandoah Valley Lodging - 22980

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com