View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Targus Gary Borger light touch fly rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Moucheur, Does one or both of these Targus series of rods feature the Formica foil paint job similar to the previous Albright EXS rods ( but in bronze rather than green)? I have it on good authority that they are more-or-less the same rods from the same fine Korean rod shop as the discontinued Albrights which were very good rods. If so the 8 1/2'/#4 is an outstanding model in the Albright version as is the #5 and #8.

Mojo, for sure I would call them and thank them for the "good deal" they gave you but say, "frankly, it is not what I had in mind." Exchange it for the above #4 or 5 and you may be much happier. Incidentally, (speaking of the Albright version) these rods are a bit on the fragile side and not appropriate for sunk line or lead weight applications but they cast with crisp authority, accuracy and are very communicative.
I wouldn't call it bronze, more like brick red or crimson, but yes, the Pro series has a "foil" finish similar to the EXS. The Light Touch series is dark green and not as bright and shiny, similar to Winston. I looked at my Light Touch last night and didn't notice whether it has a foil finish (the light was dim), but if it does it is much more subtle and subdued. The EXS and Winston rods have nicer reel seats than the Borger ones.