View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: Need some Redfish help guys.

To be honest, never witnessed much wind down there in November and December, January is when the wind starts. If you got a good guide, he will position the boat so the wind can be used to your advantage. So even a 10-15 MPH wind isn't really noticed.

Titan Taper would be a great choice in line, I never liked the running lines on Outbound lines, tangle too easily, but they definitely have a loyal following.

Some days can be downright CALM

Click the image to open in full size.

But most days just are a little breezy like so:

I actually turned down a guiding job down there very recently, which as a Yankee to be asked to come down and guide there for my buddy Lance's lodge was an honor. Unfortunately, Family comes first and my Father needs my help at the Family business here, not all bad though, I actually am able to fish for fun more by not guiding. Plus, I have a free place to stay anytime I want to go down there anyway

I have been all over this country and there is simply something about the Salt Marsh that is truly special. It is very sad it is being lost to erosion as it is, all for the greater good of human's greed for the almighty dollar...

Black Drum get big, but fight like a wet mattress, after you land one, you likely will not have any desire to cast to another one. Think this one was like 38 pounds or something. Even though they don't fight like a Red Drum, still very cool to catch such big fish though!

If you are lucky, you can get what is called a "C00N Ass Slam" meaning you land a Red Drum, Black Drum and Sheepshead all in the same day.

Sheepshead can be tough to get to take a fly though, they definitely look pretty funky...

Also, don't be surprised if the fish don't fight right away when you set the hook, most of the stuff they eat pokes their mouth so you setting the hook will not really be anything out of the norm for them, however, once they begin to feel the pressure, they will run!

As you can see they have a very tough looking mouth:

All this talk about fishing down there has me jonesing! Sorry for my rambling on and on! Sitting here looking out my office window at a blizzard and sub zero temps...

Last edited by kwb; 01-22-2013 at 10:56 AM.