View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 05:47 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Switch: Facts or Myths?

I'd say Dan is right on except for two points, landing a fish on switch and spey rods can be difficult for newcomers, but its overcome quickly. The second is where a full length spey is better in the surf. I've learned that 100' casts in the surf are totally unnecessary unless you have blitzing fish out of reach. Get to know the bottom and the changes in currents and tides and you can catch fish all day with a normal 60' cast. Does that mean bomber casts aren't part of it, no but know the structure and the need for reaching out is lessened. Trying to cast 13 to 15 foot of rod with a good onshore wind doesn't sound efficient especially with worn out shoulders and unless you fish a sinking line every wave, and in the right conditions multiple waves will really jam up a retrieve with 100' of line out. A good 10 to 11 footer would be ideal for two hand overhead as it'll keep your line off the sand, out of the crow weeds, or off the jetty. Then again the right line on the right single handed rod is just as good if not better in the surf. What it all boils down to is personal preference and your comfort zones.