View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 04:59 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice
Default Re: Took a big step today....

Nothing that you will learn in the course of your studies will be of the slightest possible use to you in after life, save only this, that if you work hard and intelligently you should be able to detect when a man is talking rot, and that, in my view, is the main, if not the sole, purpose of education.
John Alexander Smith, Professor of Moral Philosophy, Oxford University, 1914.

I've been in the higher education game for a lot of years now and here's what I would suggest. No matter what professional track you take (I have no opinion on that) be sure to take some material that will help you detect the "rot" Mr. Smith mentions. Be sure to find a good class on "Personal Finance" (how stock markets, insurance markets, retirement, banking really work), a good descriptive course on the American and Global economy that describes how it really works (not a pure theory class that merely argues how they should work), a good course in American Politics that delves into the way elections, congress, presidency and administrative agencies go about their business). Top that off with some solid American History and International History and a good dose of Environmental and Ecological studies. Oh, and if you are not already a good writer take a class on the nuts and bolts of good composition (big payoff down the road)

Schools like Kent State will require a number of distributive education classes -- fill the requirements with courses like these and avoid being suckered into courses that seem to teach the professors PH.D. dissertation alone. Then you will be a pretty good bulls**t detector....

Good luck.... its a great journey ....