Thread: plastic grubs?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: plastic grubs?

I've tried about anything that can be tried with a fly rod, at one time or another. I've tried spoons, spinners & tiny jigs on a fly rod many times. ( You replied in my Spinner Fly thread!)

I also have no qualms about using such things, especially when I'm after panfish.

Those small grubs, like the 1 to 2" sizes can work very well, particularly if you're chasing various panfish species.

Get yourself some various packs of cheap straight eye, Aberdeen style hooks, and be sure to get some with different shank lengths to fit the grubs. I always liked the gold plated hooks. Even Aberdeen jig hooks can be used, but the other hooks are cheaper in price. Add some bead heads for weight, and tie in some soft hackle, or Flashabou as a collar, keep the shank bare, or add a thread base coated with Sally Hansens, then after the cement has dried, thread your grubs onto the hook. You can get all kinds of weight combinations with beads, including plastic or glass beads. If you use the grubs that are transparent, a thread base on the hook shank of a different color, such as the fluorescent colors can add a different look to them. Some of the fine micro braided mylars make a good base too, add some flash & help hold the grub on the shank better.

These are killer on panfish, and can be used with or without an indicator (float) if you wish.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!