View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 02:58 PM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Essential fly fishing gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutchaser8 View Post
What is your "essential fly fishing gear"?
Here's mine:
1.rod, reel , and line outfit
2.leader, tippet
3.flies
4.vest with nippers and forceps
5.waders
Don't need the vest but do need some way to hold stuff, whether pockets on your clothes, a fanny pack, a sling pack, a lanyard or something else.

Sometimes you don't need waders, sometimes you do. Depends on time of year. (Also whether you're wading.) You need felt soled or cleated footwear either way, though.

I would add floatant, fly shake or something else to dry off soaked flies, polarized glasses, and a hat. I always try to have a fly patch too, but the hat will do in a pinch.

Bug dope and sunscreen aren't absolutely essential, but it's always better to have them than not.

I usually bring a neckerchief or bandana or towel of some sort, to wipe off my hands, but I can get by without.

Update: 45fisher mentioned probably the most essential item of all -- your fishing license. What does it say that the rest of us didn't?

Last edited by moucheur2003; 01-23-2013 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added mention of fishing license