View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future
Default Re: Abel or Hatch????

Both fine reels with different personalities and design concepts. Always good to have an Abel as it's user maintainable, draw-bar design is a form of insurance and I am not sure I wouldn't go with the S11N for the ten weight. I fish a Hatch 7+ on my Scott S4s #8 and I consider it, along with the Nautilus the top picks among "sealed" drag reels. One caveat on the 7+ is backing capacity; I like 200 yds. of #30, not for strength but for mangrove abrasion protection in the Bahamas, and the Hatch will only take #20. The solution, which I recommend to you, is to buy the Hatch with the mid-arbor spool option. It dramatically improves backing capacity and has no impact on aspect ratio once loaded. On my current favorite bonefish rod, Loomis NRX #8, I mounted the Nautilus NV 10/11 with the "Giga 8" spool option, the opposite of what I have done with the Hatch. I have had no reliability issues with any of these reels and they are all beautifully crafted and delightful to fish.

Do I presume correctly that you are located in Britain? Have you considered Hardy's Fortuna X? Though built in Korea, it is a fine piece of work with a very stout drag and much better than Orvis's Chinese Mirage.