Thread: It's a start!
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 05:24 PM

brian miville has a spectacular aura aboutbrian miville has a spectacular aura about
Default It's a start!

Some may remember the thread I started recently on flies you consider musts for bass and panfish. Well, be assured I took all suggestions and wrote them down. I picked out a few easy patterns to start tying just to begin with (mostly for simplicity sake and so I did not have to buy a whole lot of supplies all at once.) The least few days I have been hunched over my work bench spinning thread on hooks, and here is what I have to show for it......

While I know this is a trout pattern, and I can't honestly say I found a need to make it, I did watch David Camiss make this easy pattern and figured it would be a good start since it is so simple. I made 4 of them, 2 olive (one brass wire the other silver) and 2 black (same brass on one, silver thread the other):
Click the image to open in full size.
Olive buzzer

Next up was also super easy and also used only hook and 3 materials (thread, lead free wire and chenille). I am thinking of getting some red bead heads to save a bit of thread wrapping and to make a cleaner looking head :
Green weenie

From there it was on to an even simpler pattern than the weenie, the san juan worm. I did one in red and one brown. I know they usually are done on curved (scud?) hooks, but this is what I had to work with for right now:
San Juan Worm

From here it was time to start working with foam. I will admit that it took some getting used to cinching 1/4" wide foam onto a hook, but I think I have the knack of it now, and with zap-a-gap the bodies seem durable and should remain in place on the shank. I started with a couple foam beetles:
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Foam beetles

Next up, yet more foam fun. This time it was on to Chernobyl Ants. This is the last one I made (so far). My first attempt I found I had uneven body segments. As I was starting this one it dawned on me....take a pencil and just make a small mark where to tie body segments. As you can see the result was even body segments:
Chernobyl ant

And last up a couple of gurglers. I have made about 6 so far, but the first 4 were pretty rough looking. But I think I have got the gist of how best to work this pattern. Here I used deer hair, chart. flashabou and crystal flash in the tails, chenille for the bodies, and on the last one a sharpie for a little added flair :
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Blue/Chart. gurgler and Bee gurgler.

All in all it has been a good learning experience so far. I must say Youtube is a godsend! I also was amazed to find out I have a fully stocked fly shop ten minutes away, Stone River Outfitters in Bedford, NH. I stopped in today to pick a few things up and was amazed at the sheer volume of materials they carry. So now I have a local place to get just about anything i need in materials. So stay tuned for more "Beginner tying fun."