View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 10:49 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Essential fly fishing gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45fisher View Post
Fred,
I know you are not picking on us …but…
You are probably right about taking too much...but being a former military guy and now just an ole'f**t... I still finding myself going places to be away...a police whistle would do me no good.

Ya gotta have someone to hear it for it to work, bears sometimes don't care if it's a police whistle, and the 2-legged varmits don't care all the time.

As you stated if you have phone service...that's the reason for the SPOT. Same reason for the wading staff and the steel cleated wading boots...found myself looking up at the sky too many times and always thinking one of these days I may not be able to get back up.
I carry the spare rod (5 or 7 piece packable) because sometimes it's a long way back to the truck to get the spare...most of the time it is up hill and sometimes the truck is not available. (Dropped off for pick-up at a later time)

Oh and I also forgot the camera…to prove the lies!
And did I mention the 'Boy-Scout' items needed?...lighter,matches...

Larry
I hear you Larry, I hear you on several points. I forgot the wading staff as 'essential equipment.' I never step in the river without the tip of that going in first. Mine is a solid wood shaft with a pound of lead wrap on the bottom. That tip stays on the bottom! Which is exactly where you want same ... especially when you need the thing the most. Mine was built for me in the UK by a fellow who calls himself 'The Stickman.' (You'll find him easily via Google.)

Just my .02 cents again, the 'fold up' wading staffs do just that ... fold up when you need them the most.