View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abel nippers: Are they worth it?

I had apprehension of buying them for myself when I saw the price tag but decided to buy them as a Christmas gift for chi because of his Abel addiction. Ironically enough, he bought me a pair that very same Christmas.

They are a luxury item for sure, there are plenty of good and cheap alternatives if you don't care to part with $50 for them. If you can swing it, I don't think you'll be disappointed with them. They're wonderful. After using them for a year or so now, they haven't dulled on me. You can put them on a zinger or lanyard and not have to worry about them. Mine are always around my neck. Blades can be replaced and the first set is replaced by Abel at no charge I believe. There are also deals that can be had when you buy an Abel reel, you can get free nippers and free line. I think one of our members recently took advantage of this and posted some photos.

Before the Abel nippers, I'd go through a few sets of nippers in a year, sometimes even one set within 10 days of fishing. Easy enough to replace and not expensive and certainly not a bad route to go. I used to use cheap polarized sunglasses for fear of damaging or losing them and wound up buying new ones every year or so. Since then, I've upgraded to a more costly pair and have had the same pair of glasses for at least 5 years with absolutely no issues. When I have good gear, I take care of it.

At the end of the day, buy what you will feel good about and stick within your budget.