Hey Ditz, those are some great suggestions, especially the one about making popper heads. That is a very nifty idea, and is now on the short list of stuff to try (planned on making some poppers at some point soon).
So I toyed with a couple more the last couple days. First is nothing too special, just a basic adaptation of the Chernobyl Ant I saw that used deer hair wing and some knots tied in the rear legs to make a Chernobyl hopper. In this example I tied body segments gradually getting smaller to the front....not sure why since I know the fish won't notice, but it looked neat to me.
Oh, and as you can tell I went for all out vibrant. I call this one the Fire Chernobyl Hopper:
Fire Chernobyl Hopper
Ain't going to have a problem seeing THIS on the water.
The other new tie came from a Youtube video I happened on while watching a bunch of other fly tie videos. This one the person doing the tying calls it "Bluegill Candy":
I did mess up a bit in that I was supposed to be sparse on the wraps the legs are tied into on the first go (because of the fact that when it came time to tie in the legs it would bulk up more). Not a functionality issue, just a "looks" issue. Lesson learned for the next time around......