View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 01:02 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Casting questions from a rookie

With some 5 weight tournament-type lines now with heads approaching the 75' mark and with smaller diameter running line and very long rear tapers now allow you to carry all of that head and more because of the smooth, gradual transition from head to running line. This head design helps prevent hinging and the thin running line cuts friction and thus helps with longer shoots.
Coating slickness too helps not only in a longer shoot but also helps prevent slack when feeding line back after each haul.
I would say at my maximum carry I try to shoot is 20-25' feet of line. Many times though I admit to doing what so many people do and wait one false cast too much to shoot the line. Trying to sqeeze that little extra out of each false cast can ruin a perfectly good lead going into that last cast.
Hang around casting circles enough and a common comment heard is 'should have let the one before that go'.