Thread: Bobbins??
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 05:02 AM

flytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to beholdflytire is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bobbins??

i use the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle to my bobbin holders and just use tiemco ceramic for all of my tying. its worked for over 30 years.

---------- Post added at 04:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofish View Post
Can anyone tell me why Dr Slick has 3 different size bobbins? I started tying a couple of yrs ago & I started with their 4" ceramic bobbin. However I want to get another. They have 3", 4" & 4.75 why????? I can't find an answer anywhere???
from the interweb

3 inch

When you're working on those really tiny Zebra Midges, you've got to have a bobbin that's up to the task, Dr. Slick's Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 3 in. is the right tool for the job. This high quality bobbin is a short 3 inches in the dispensing tube so you'll have all kinds of thread control on really small fly patterns. Tired of bobbins that chew your thread rather than dispense it? This bobbin is constructed with dual ceramic inserts to smoothly guide thread while holding enough tension on it to keep it securely in place so you'll never hear that tell-tale "pop" of broken thread again! Dr. Slick's Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 3 in. is available in an attractive and durable gold finish to last a lifetime. Number 22 hooks? No problem.

Summary

Dr. Slickís Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 3 in. is constructed with dual ceramic inserts to ensure the smooth application of your thread, by keeping only the required tension on the thread, no more, no less. The ceramic inserts are silky smooth and will protect even the most delicate threads you can select. It's designed with a short application tube for extra thread control on smaller flies and in situations where finesse is required. This elegant fly tying bobbin from Dr. Slick is available in an attractive and durable gold finish. What are you waiting for? Wrap up some bugs so you can bag more fish!

Specifications:
Fly tying bobbin with dual ceramic inserts
3-inch applicator tube for extra control when working on really small fly patterns
Keeps required tension on thread
Will not chew or fray thread
Durable and attractive gold finish

4 inch

Tired of bobbins that chew your thread rather than dispense it? Then give the Dr. Slick Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 4 in. a whirl! From the leader in precision tying instruments, Dr. Slick, this tremendously durable and effective fly tying bobbin is equipped with a 4-inch dispenser tube for the widest utility available. This bobbin is constructed with dual ceramic inserts to smoothly guide thread while holding enough tension on it to keep it securely in place. From wiggly nymphs to heavily threaded hoppers, Dr. Slick's Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 4 in. is a no-brainer. Get your hands on one today!

Summary

Dr. Slickís Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 4 in. is constructed with dual ceramic inserts to ensure the smooth application of your thread, by keeping only the required tension on the thread, no more, no less. The ceramic inserts are silky smooth and will protect even the most delicate threads you can select. Dr. Slickís Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic is 4 inches long, the perfect size for the widest range of fly tying applications. It's available in an attractive and durable gold finish that will last a lifetime. If we could only use one bobbin, it'd be this one!

Specifications:
4-inch thread applicator tube for use in the widest range of fly tying applications

4.75 inch

When you're working with long-shanked saltwater, salmon, and steelhead hooks, wrapping thread effectively can be a challenging proposition, especially when you've secured loads of material on the shank. Enter Dr. Slick's Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 4.75 inches. This smooth ceramic bobbin from Dr. Slick, the leader in precision tying instruments, has extra length in the tube for easy application on bulky flies or awkward hook sizes. This bobbin is constructed with dual ceramic inserts to smoothly guide thread while holding enough tension on it to keep it securely in place. Next time you're ready to tie that giant yak streamer for a trip for stripers in the Delta, string up Dr. Slick's Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 4.75 inch, and get after it!

Summary

Dr. Slickís Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 4.75 in. is constructed with dual ceramic inserts to ensure the smooth application of your thread, by keeping only the required tension on the thread, no more, no less. The ceramic inserts are silky smooth and will protect even the most delicate threads you can select. With extra length in the dispensing tube, this durable bobbin is an excellent choice for bulky, long-shanked, or otherwise awkward fly patterns. Dr. Slickís Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 4.75 in. will not chew your thread and is available in an attractive and durable gold finish. Itís smooth.

Specifications:
4.75 inches long in the dispenser tube for work on long-shanked hooks and bulky flies

a lot of bulls#!t if you ask me

YOUR way is not the ONLY way when tying flies!

Fly tyers can be masters of making things complicated!

You're only limited by lack of imagination. Be creative, experiment.

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/