View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 03:27 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please be specific

Part of what keeps me posting here is that the overwhelming majority of posters here are knowledgeable, helpful, friendly and fun. I have been on other forums that flat out turn me off because of the cliques, the drama, and sheer stupidity and ridiculous antics of some of those forum's membership base.

Lots of us have experience fly fishing, some more than others, some less. Some of us are new and are still on that newbie learning curve. Some folks may be new to fly fishing and to forums, or the particular layout of this one. I agree that search features are widely underused in lots of occasions. For that matter even google will get me hits to threads on this forum when I am searching for info. Encourage, don't discourage.

So a poster asks for input on a question, if you feel inclined to help, go for it. Someone posts a topic that doesn't interest you, skip over it. If the post doesn't interest you, move along to another post that does. If you know there was a recent discussion, find it, post it and encourage the OP to read that discussion.

The thing with some of these questions is that while there are some answers that are more set in stone per say, some of those answers may change as new products are rolled out. Lots of our answers are based on first hand experiences which can be invaluable to people...new to fly fishing or not. New techniques even emerge from time to time, though most are re-invented over time and re-marketed by someone else. Perhaps we should go the "sticky" route in the gear and fly tying sections and post commonly asked questions with some responses and encourage new members to read them. Same goes with a sticky on searching the forums, guide newbies to those old posts. I don't mind revisiting topics, sometimes when I *think* I have an answer, I learn something new from lots of you or I rethink my perspective or stance on something. I can't even begin to quantify how much I've learned here and how invaluable of a resource the community is. That's part of what makes this place what it is and what keeps me coming back.