View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abel Creek vs Abel Super

Not surprised to see Chi chime in on this, he is well versed with Abel reels and gave solid advice as I'd expect him to.

Maybe one question to ask yourself is have you or any of your buddies ever been out on the waters you intend to use this reel on and had to put a fish on the reel to land it? If so and you would be more comfortable having a drag, the Super Series might be a the better option for you.

Landing big fish is very much do-able on a click & pawl too though. I've landed several nice size lake run steelhead on one this past year--my first year fishing for them with click & pawl. Lots of folks like old click & pawls for sea run steelhead that can be notoriously more "hot" than some of the fish I'm likely to tangle with.

Maintenance wise, both would require about the same. Give them some grease and oil and you're golden. The cork drag on the Super Series does require a coating of Neatsfoot Oil, where as the click & pawl would just be grease and reel oil. I don't own an Abel click & pawl, but do have a Super 4. Absolutely beautiful reel.

The good news is you really can't go wrong with either choice, Abel makes amazing products.