View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Winter Fly Fishing In Idaho

I figured the "Coldwater Fly Fishing" board would be very appropriate for this thread. Last week we experienced our second round of week-long below zero temps resulting in many local moving waters being frozen right over.

In the face of that, a week ago this last Saturday the boys and I headed for one of our favorite winter haunts, the South Fork of the Snake River, just below Palisades dam. We were hopeful to find some open water near the dam, which there always is. Problem is, since they built a new bridge across the river just down from the dam they no longer plow out the parking area at the dam and I drove literally 10-feet too far and got stuck to the axles!

When the guys got out to "push" us out, they realized it was not just cold, but bitter cold. The temp read +8 F. But the wind was blowing at around 20 - 25 mph and the wind chill seemed off the charts. After about an hour of digging, pushing and such they finally got us unstuck. When I landed on solid ground and got out to gear up they all said in unison not to bother as it was too cold. Sigh...

We jumped in the jeep and headed back down to Swan Valley where I bought them all lunch for their efforts in getting us out of a pickle.

After lunch we tried to find open water without the wind and located some near Swan Valley. We geared up, strung up and headed for the river. After 2-1/2 hours we called it quits, what with ice clogging the river, and bergs floating down the river and no fish but one small and lowly whitefish, it was time to go home and hope to wipe this one off the books in the near future.

Here are a few pics from the outing:

It doesn't look stuck, but it is very high centered:
Click the image to open in full size.

The face masks may be a hint to how cold it was:

Geared up and ready:

An afternoon on the river:

You couldn't get a decent drift because line and leader were draped over ice balls in the river

How cold was it?:

The only wasted days are the ones we waste...

Best Fishes,

Kelly.