View Single Post
Old 04-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: How close is too close?

Hi to all,

I think it has a lot to do with where you are fishing. Years ago I can remember fishing the Eel River in Northern California. It was shoulder to shoulder and only one or two fly fishers if any. There was a code that everyone fished. If you hooked up other anglers below you would wind in and you worked you fish below them. If you moved through it just happened. If you were slow moving through you might get a comment or two. After you passed below the line everyone went back to fishing. Your spot would be gone and when someone else hooked up the line would move down and you got back in line.

On other waters like Wyoming were there isn't as many anglers everyone just keeps clear of other anglers. I have a few rules I follow when fishing where there are others.

1. Always be cordial and friendly. Other anglers may be idiots but I don't have to be.

2. Always say hi and ask how they are doing.

3. Never get into the back cast area as you pass by. If there is not room then advise the person fishing you want to pass.

4. When passing a person exit the water and pass on the shore. I never wade up to or behind a person who is fishing.

5. If you pass by a person don't fish the next good looking spot. Save him some water to fish and move further up or down stream.

6. If you are catching fish and someone ask what you are using? Show him the fly and give them a couple.

7. If you find a great pool and someone is sitting on a rock smoking or just relaxing. Assume he is fishing that spot. Don't think it is open just because he is not fishing. He may be resting the spot or watching the fish.

7. If you meet an idiot just move on and don't engage them.

Doing these things has made my fishing more enjoyable. When you fish water elbow to elbow then then the best thing you can do is follow number 1.