View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fishing Midge Nymphs.... Need some help!

During winter I use a lot of midges in small creeks. Most of the time I only use a single fly rig since I am usually using my little 3wt glass rod. I set it up just like I do an indicator rig. For me, this means: Fly line > 5-6ft furled leader > indicator on end of leader > 2-3ft 6x or smaller tippet > fly. For weight, these midges have a single brass bead. I don't like the fly to be so heavy that it constantly gets snagged on the stream bottom. I like to stand downstream and cast up stream, allowing the midge/nymph to dead drift back to me. Seems to catch fish every single time I use it, and normally, a lot of them. A #18-22 red brassie type midge is what has been producing best for me this winter.

If I'm in a lake using midges, I get rid of the indicator and slowly strip it in or twitch it. Lots of strike seem to be right when I am pulling up getting ready to make another cast.

-Chase