View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Waxed or unwaxed?

By the way, while we're on the thread subject, some fellow showed me Silk Thread. It was Pearsall's, and I think the company is in St. Louis, MO.

The silk was recommended for certain Dry Flies with about one turn of hackle and the silk wrap on the hook for a body and that is all there is to the entirely Mayfly imitation.

Certain of the Silk colors, it seems, take on a very natural look when wet. He was tying a light gray as I recall, possibly a Pale Morning Dun. I'll ask him next time I see him. It was a tying clinic and so much was going on I can't remember it all.

Although I am someone intimidated by the idea of tying dry flies, I tied one for the first time, using the fellow's vise, and it was so easy I thought,
"Gee, I could just tie these things all day long!". He said they catch fish for him. It's a very sparse hackle. Very sparse with only about one wrap or 1-1/2 wrap of hackle, and one layer of silk thread wrap for a body.