View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod weights and Common Cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout trekker View Post
Reading over the these threads, I see nearly as many questions asking about the actions of this rod or that...

It’s not a perfect system by any means and by no means tells the whole story about a rod, but it’s better than trying to wade through volumes of colorful descriptions of a rods characteristics, including those used by the rod companies themselves.

One last thought, this system of measure is only as good as the users implementing it. Best, TT
True, true and true....

One company's fast is another company's moderate. For example, Winston calls my 10 wt. BIIX fast, but it is not as fast as My Flying Pig 8 wt. which is aslo called a fast. If we were to start at the Flying Pig and call it very fast then it would make the Winston a moderate fast. Then there are things like recovery. (The time required to go from bent to straight ) By the way, I have never seen a rod with a faster recovery than that Flying Pig rod I just mentioned.

Yes, there are a lot of variables in the way a rod acts. Frequency, flex action, recovery, diameter effecting wind resistance, weight..... You can overdo this though. At best you get maybe 10% of the performance in a cast from a rod and line. The rest is the caster. I hate to beat a dead horse here but My friend Bill can cast way past 100' with a Cabelas Three Forks rod and a $10 K-Mart 5 wt. line. In fact I have watched him do it on one knee with just the top half of the rod. He hit 105' or better every single time he tried it.

And while a system is only as good as those who do the measuring, this is pretty straight forward. If you can do simple math, read a tape measure and count change you should be OK.