View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:14 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Float tubers....ASSEMBLEEEEEE!

I have a Fish Cat 4 tube from Outcast which I love. It is very easy to maneuver do to the pontoonish style. If you purchase a float tube, I would recommend the Fish Cat 4 or any other V shamed tube. For obvious hydronamics reasons, circular tubes and U shaped tubes are harder to push through the water, although still not very hard.

I primarily used it in the Charles River in MA, in a section with very light current. I dont believe that it would be difficult at all to maintain a stationary position in some faster water. It is probably easier, in fact, than a canoe as you can reposition yourself as you fish, and not have to put your rod down to grab an oar.

This being said, kayaks are better for large bodies of water, or areas with an extreme amount of surface vegetation/scum. If you fish large, deep areas, I would recommend a kayak. There is always something spooky and unnerving about floating over deep dark water with your legs dangling below you (maybe I just saw Jaws too young).

If you are going to be in small streams and ponds, however, float tube is a great experience and allows you to maneuver freely and easily. Landing fish on a tube is also very enjoyable, as you simply reach out in front of you and pluck them from the water. The ability to spin the tube completely around while you cast is also a great advantage to tubing.

Overall, I strongly recommend tubing, but in the right waters. I have been thinking about getting a kayak as well for bigger ponds/lakes and ones generally covered in a lot of growth, especially at any boat launch spots.