View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 11:11 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switch: Facts or Myths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee View Post
So if I read Diver Dan correctly.... for surf I am probably looking at either a regular fly line or a shooting head with something like Amnesia running line? And then for Steelhead waters probably a Skagit or maybe a Scandi? Geez, what a learning curve. Still need to get the rod built and buy me reel. .

Pete
You could use a spey line designed for that rod with an integrated running line if you want. In fact, integrated may be better if you two handed over head cast it as you should in surf. I would prefer an integrated line myself because it's one less thing to come apart and I don't really like stripping amnesia. It's less likely to have problems being only 11 feet long. I have done it with a 15 footer and blew a woven mono loop out and sent my leader and a fly into somewhere downtown. It's not hard to hit 150 with my 15'ers overhead casting like that.

Now I don't know what those rivers are like there, so Ican't tell you what the best way to fish them is. But if it were a Skagit, and it's probably more likely than not, you could go with a shorter head floater for the surf, and use the same amnesia running line. That would remove the need for a second spool. You need to find a shop around there and ask how they are fishing those with switch rods.