Thread: Vises
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Yup, started tying in 2008. First vise was a Regal Medallion. Second vise, and the one that I currently use, is a Renzetti Traveller; a Christmas present from my wife at the end of 2008.

Pocono
I think this is very typical. I went through a few vises before settling on a Renzetti Master. My journey was:

Thompson Model A ===> Regal ===> HMH Standard ===> Renzetti Master Vise with Speed Crank

My opinion is that fly tyers that stick with it and do more than occasional tying want the best vise they can afford. I find that it mirrors the behavior of most dedicated fly fishers.

There are dedicated fly tyers and fly fishers that continue to tie and fish for decades with their original equipment and that is OK. However, I think that is atypical.

It is not our job to up sell newbies. But, I wish there was a way to tell if a newbie tyer was going to really dig fly tying so we could say, you ought to skip the beginner vise and move to your ultimate vise.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy