View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About tippet for Great lake steelheads

Hi Ben,

I think you'll get a variety of answers to your questions because of the diversity of tributaries to the GL's and the tactics used on them. I'm confident you'll find some similarities as well. You might want to give us a refresher, which Lakes and tributaries do you intend to fish?

Personally, I fish the Lake Erie Tribs, the most shallow of all of the Great Lakes. The tributaries follow suit, they are shale bottom and often very low and clear.

My Flouro of choice is Seaguar's Grand Max, but I don't think you can go wrong with Rio either. I like a mono butt section tied with Maxima Chameleon and or Ultra Green Generally speaking for the fall, I fish mostly 2x-3x when the water is up with some color. When it drops to low and clear, I'm generally using 4x and down to 5x when the 4x doesn't seem to cut it. When I'm nymphing/egging, I'm somewhere between 3x and 5x again, depending on water conditions. When I'm streamer fishing exclusively, then I'll generally stick with 2x-3x.

In the winter, Flouro can get brittle so I usually stick with 2x or 3x.