View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About tippet for Great lake steelheads

Hi Ben,

I'm not as familiar with Lake Ontario Tribs like the Salmon River but I suspect what I've said in my previous will work. Hopefully some of the others who fish the Salmon River will chime in with more localized information.

Trout here in the US can be very spooky as well, especially in spring fed creeks. When I'm fishing these spring creeks, much like you, I am often using a leader with a large portion of tippet being between 4x-5x, 6x when I really need it.

4x and 5x will suit you just fine up there. When I get down to 5x, it's really just the tip of the leader that I'll use 5x on, probably between 1-2 feet. The bulk of my leader material is 3x and larger.

Even though the tippet size is most often dictated by the size of the fly, I have had good luck dropping down a size and sometimes two when the fish are very spooky.