View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 06:32 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Saltwater Kit, the extras

Quote:
Things like, do i really need a pair of those $150 Abel fishing pliers for 12lb test mono and bonefish, although they are pretty.
The simple answer is no! You don't need anything like that, a cheap pair of long nose pliers will work as well, or even a cheap pair of hemostats that many use in freshwater if all you need is a tool for aiding in removing hooks from Bonefish. Cheap pliers will rust with saltwater use, but they'll rust anyway even if used around freshwater. I bought a pair of cheap stainless pliers some years ago, paid about $15 for them, and they've been great. I've used all kinds of cheap tools for removing hooks, mashing barbs or cutting lines, including braided lines with other tackle. All work & I likely have not spent $150 on those tools in my lifetime!

If you can afford the Abel pliers, and want them, then that's a different matter. I can't so I don't.

Pliers are a good tool to have when saltwater fishing. Should you encounter a Cuda, instead of a Bonefish, & get hooked up, it would be useful. Although, it's not usually a good idea to get your hands too close to the mouth of any really big toothy saltwater creature! Bad things can happen real fast!

There are various nippers or scissors that will cut line. Stainless is again a good idea for the salt, but even regular finger nail cutters will do the job.

A knife & sheath, something like a Mora brand can be a good idea too. You never know when you might need to cut something fast. Might not be a problem for you, but I got tangled up in some discarded line one time while wading. I wasn't in any immediate danger, but in a different place, could have been. That was not the time for nippers!

Good polarized sun glasses, a good hat that gives full coverage to shield from the Sun and also keeps your head from frying under it, or something like Buff wear that protects from the Sun is IMO a more important place to spend your money, than on expensive pliers. Even the Sun's rays being reflected off the water can become a problem real quick.

Usually when fishing with guides, it's best to ask them what you need to have with you.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!