View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 06:33 AM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all
Default Re: About tippet for Great lake steelheads

Just an FYI...

That Drennan fluoro you mentioned is made by a company called Sunline, one of 3 manufacturers of fluorocarbon in the World.

Sunline sells it under the label V-Hard and it is very pricey due to the expensive packaging.

It actually has the lowest refractive index of any fluorocarbon sold today, meaning it is the most invisible under water. It is a little stiff because of this, but I never found it to be an issue.

The issue with the way Drennan packages it is they take what Sunline sells as 6 pound under the V-Hard label and they package it as 4 pound, so it seems very thick but in reality it breaks at 2-3 pounds over the listed breaking strength.

It is quite comical how many lines in the fishing World regarding fluoro and mono are the exact same thing, sold by a different company with different packaging...

Think about it, only 3 companies make fluoro, yet how many sell it?

For Great Lakes migratory Trout, I would order some 5, 6 and 8 pound Drennan and call it a day if you are nymphing. If the water is stained, just use Maxima Ultragreen in 5, 6 or 8 pound, no reason to use fluoro in stained water. If you are fishing streamers, 8, 10 or 12 pound Maxima Ultragreen, to use fluoro for streamer fishing is a waste of money and fluoro doesn't do loop knots well "especially in lighter line weights", I always fish my streamers with a loop knot to the hook, much better action that way...

If I was fishing 5X, 6X or 7X I would go with the Grand Max as it is more limp and gonna fish the tiny flies associated with those tippets more effectively...

Last edited by kwb; 02-02-2013 at 06:53 AM.