View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bimini Twist: Backing To Fly Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Well if your using 30lb tippet you should have 50lb gelspun backing or else you run the risk of losing a flyline no matter what knot you tie.
I was experimenting and did not think I would get one burn me out into backing like that. The first two fish in a row did. I broke the first one off. That was a scary one. I was using ANDE and I guess the backing is like most lines where they say 30 but it's more like 38 or something. I just took the line off I was using on my two hander and kept the same backing. My PENN 4GAR pulls double duty, my 12 wt. single hand rod and my 15' Albright double hander. You can see on the reel from the same day it happened, the spool is not full. If I had known it was going to work so well I would have taken off the backing and loaded it full with the gelspun as you suggest.
Click the image to open in full size.

The one I broke off was a Sturgeon in the high 60" zone and probably 85 or 90 pounds. Thought my line was going to be a goner.