Thread: Vises
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 03:08 PM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Vises

Thanks for the insight.

I started on the fixed head Thompson with the chrome shaft in 1964, tied on it until 1985. Dabbled with a Griffin that I gave up quickly, tried a Thompson A for about a year, tried a NorVise for about a week. Still have the Thompsons and the Griffin, jettisoned the Nor quickly.

Bought a Regal Medallion Standard, then the Midge Jaws head and have tied on them since 1986.

Bought a Renzetti Traveler in 2007 just to find out what the fuss was about with rotary... still tie on it occasionally, but more for the novelty than anything else or for production tying "in the round" style flies.

I really appreciate the comfort of tying on a Regal- being able to rest the 'off hand' on the head of the vise when it's not in use is nice and there's no easier vise to set a hook in the jaws of. I have the c-clamp and pedestal, but only use the clamp when I travel.

Most of my tying is in the 20-12 range, with an occasional trip into the 22-28 and 10-2 sizes and I find this vise to meet my needs. In the past, I tied an average of 1000 flies a season, now it's more like 200 unless I get pressed into service =)