View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 07:10 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly Fishing Backpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
I guess it depends on the type of waders, wading boots, your change of clothing and whatever else you'd want to pack but I tend to think that the majority of fly fishing exclusive packs might be on the small side compared to what you're looking for.

The Daycreek pack, while nice is not all that large. You might want to consider the guide pack but there isn't a rod holder. If I were in your position, I'd start by gathering my items and putting them in a pack that you currently own and get the dimensions you think you might need. Then look at offerings from companies like Simms, Sage, Orvis, Fishpond, etc and make yourself a spreadsheet of their offerings and dimensions. If you can't find a pack with a rod holder in the size you're looking for, consider adding one that has a shoulder strap and or a D ring, then clip it to your pack.
So true

I have one of the bigger Orvis backpacks that holds two rods, one on each side. I would be lucky to get my boots and waders in there, let alone everything else needed. My buddy users a hikers frame pack and it is more along the size needed for what you are describing.

Then again if it is for summer you could get by with a smaller pack, wet wade using something like the Simms Rip rap shoe and you would be good to go.

I hiked 3 miles last summer out of a canyon with wet waders and boots in my pack. All I can say is I'm not 18 any more.