View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Forum Category

Interesting thoughts here David. At first thought on this, I'd think a well written and thorough sticky would probably cover most of the basic knots for noobs. Honestly, I can think of 6 knots that I use on a regular basis and since I know they work for the type of fishing I do, I haven't felt a need to try something different. Albright knot>spool to backing; Nail Knot or Perfection Loop> backing to line; Nail Knot or Perfection Loop> line to leader; Blood Knot> leader/leader to tippet; Clinch Knot or No Slip Knot> tippet to fly.

After more consideration, there are all sorts of leader formulas, tippet rings, swivels, multi fly rigs, tube fly rigs, furled leaders, bimini twists and I haven't even touched salt because I don't do it. Then there's blind splicing leader to fly line, Ard has some sink line methods I know he's shared and a few other ways to connect lines. Sticky's can be daunting to read if there are too many posts/pages added to them, so now I'm scratching my head. This isn't a topic that is as regularly discussed as say fly tying, or gear but I know there have been several discussions recently. Still, it might warrant being called out. Maybe it's as simple as updating the Fly Line topic to let's talk fly lines and knots?

The thing with the videos is that there are tons of animated knot pages and lots of videos out there. I'd think we'd want to or need to create our own if we were to post them on our forum rather than use someone else's work. That means someone or multiple folks with the knowledge would need to create them. I don't know anything about making videos but I'd think that could be a good bit of work? Then there's the impact of what adding another topic could mean to the moderators. How much work would that add to the moderators? As it is, I think we have a lot of topics listed separately.

Still on the fence here, just thought I'd post some thoughts to get the discussion going. I'll reserve my opinion at this point until others chime in with their thoughts. I do like the idea of putting topics like this in one concise place, just not sure where it should go. Maybe you could randomly call forum members and poll them with their thoughts David? Sorry couldn't resist!